Monday, May 17, 2010

Old poem I wrote about waking up with Lilli in the middle of the night...

tiny, peering, almond eyes
upside-down, and just-parting lids
In the dark I can make out your eyebrows raised in wonder-
Imagine you think first, "Where am I?"
and second, "where is my warm, cozy friend?"

I hold you close, sniff your hair.
My sweet Lilli is too awake for sleeping.

fingers ready for discovery reach, with tips grab a hanger from the floor-
grip the phone-charging cord tight.
I prise your tiny hands from its danger, pick you up.

Whisk you away to the living room carpet where you can learn freely.
You smile, knowing, behind your pacifier still clutched tight in teeth.
We peek-a-boo, read stories of bunnies and opposites,
you kiss the beak of your chicken head toy and babble "da-da" and other soft nothings.

When I turn to write this poem, it's "MA MA MA MA..!" until I look at you, and then you are fine again.
Oh love, I wouldn't trade these nights with you for anything.

Not anything, my brilliant, beautiful little child...

No comments:

Post a Comment